Made possible by the Distinguished Alumni & Friends of the Worcester Public Schools event, the Office of District Attorney Joseph D. Early, Jr., individual donations, and the general funds of the WEDF
The Worcester Educational Development Foundation, Inc. (WEDF), founded to improve educational opportunities for the students and teachers in the Worcester Public Schools, announces the availability of funds for small grants of up to $500 each.
Instructional staff members in the district may apply for a grant of up to $ 500 to fund extraordinary projects for students in WEDF’s areas of focus. Projects that connect WPS alumni with classrooms are encouraged. WEDF’s four focus areas are:
- Arts and Culture.
- College and Career Readiness.
- Health and Wellness.
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Gardening Grant Opportunity: In Spring 2022, some funds are available specifically for gardening and landscaping projects
Funds may be used for instructional and non-instructional materials, transportation and fees for field trips or competitions (preference for field trips within Worcester/Worcester County), and consultants. Funds may not be used for stipends or salary for WPS personnel.
Gardening or landscaping grant funds may be used only for plants and plant materials (mulch, soil, seeds).
An application (no more than two pages) is required and must be signed or approved via email by the building principal or immediate supervisor. The application must clearly state:
- how the learning need connects to one of WEDF’s focal areas.
- how that need will be met through the grant’s activities.
- why these activities are special, unique and enjoyable.
- how the program will be evaluated (i.e., how success will be determined).
A line-item budget must be included. Attachments are not allowed.
Awards will be determined by a broad-based review committee based on the scoring rubric that is posted here.
Requests may be made at any time before May 1, 2022. Applications will be reviewed and awarded on a rolling basis while funds last. Notification of status of award will be made within two weeks of submission. Projects must be completed by May 31, 2022.