Jacob Ford – 2018 Recipient of the Ryan P. Quinn Memorial Award
The Board of Directors of the Worcester Educational Development Foundation, Inc. (WEDF), is pleased to announce that the recipient of the 2018 Ryan P. Quinn Memorial Award is Jacob Ford. A Senior at Burncoat High School and an accomplished student-athlete, Jacob is the son of Mr. Matthew Ford of Worcester.
Jacob’s impressive accomplishments include: being selected as the Captain of Burncoat High School’s Varsity Baseball Team; being selected, twice, as an Inter-High School All Star Athlete; volunteering for four years with the Community Reading Program; partnering with and assisting classmates in the Life Skills Program during Physical Education and Theatre Arts classes; and leading fundraising initiatives to support fellow athletes.
Jacob plans to study Criminal Justice and has been accepted by Colby-Sawyer College, Lasell College, Merrimack College, Plymouth State University, the University of Massachusetts at Lowell, and Western New England University. Jacob will be presented his award and honored on July 16, 2018 at Wachusett Country Club, during the banquet and awards ceremony following the 4th Annual Ryan P. Quinn Memorial Golf Tournament.
On behalf of the Quinn Family, we would like to extend our hearty congratulations to Jacob for being selected as the recipient of this prestigious honor and wish him the best of luck in his educational pursuits.
Ryan P. Quinn, Burncoat High School class of 1996, was a star soccer player and avid golfer, earning varsity letters for both sports. Continuing his education at Salve Regina University, Ryan went on to have a successful career in sales in the medical and pharmaceutical fields. Ryan was a kind and special person with many devoted friends. Sadly, Ryan passed away in June of 2014.
In memory of Ryan, the Quinn family and thoughtful donors are generously sponsoring the Ryan P. Quinn Memorial Award for graduating varsity athletes of Burncoat High School’s Class of 2018.
The purpose of this award is to support Burncoat High School varsity athletes in their plans to continue their education at either a two or four-year college. Funds received may be used at the recipient’s discretion, however should be used to assist with expenses related to attending college (i.e. acquiring a computer, purchasing books, paying tuition, etc.)
- Burncoat High School Class of 2018, graduating in June 2018.
- Must have played a varsity sport for Burncoat High School during senior year.
- Must be accepted to and enrolled in a two or four-year college
Selection: Applications will be reviewed by a panel and scored in accordance with award requirements.
- As requested by the Quinn Family, the chosen applicant must be available to accept this award with a parent(s) or guardian(s) at the third annual Ryan P. Quinn Memorial Golf Tournament’s dinner on July 16, 2018, at Wachusett Country Club. Please note: attendance is mandatory to receive this award.
- Applicants must complete the Ryan P. Quinn Memorial Award ‘Application Cover Page’ with a copy of the letter of acceptance from the college you are enrolled in and/or plan to attend this fall.
- Applicants must submit a one-page answer to the following question. Your response must be typed using Times New Roman size 12 font, doubled spaced, and in your concluding paragraph detail how you will use these funds.
How has being a varsity athlete impacted your high school experience and how will it impact your future plans?